LOCATION: Nairobi, Kenya
REPORTS TO: Managing Director, HFC
The Health Finance Coalition is seeking an exceptional, entrepreneurial leader to help build and scale its vision of transforming the landscape of health investments across Africa. This is an opportunity for an individual with strong investment and health experience to play a central role in reshaping the market for healthcare around the continent. This position reports to the Managing Director, HFC.
Healthcare in Africa receives a small fraction of the investment channeled to other sectors despite huge demand and, increasingly, the emergence of innovative business models. At the HFC, we believe this gap can only be filled through “deal construction”: intensive work with companies, funding agencies, and, at times, host governments, to develop promising, high-impact health enterprises into investable propositions that provide the necessary risk mitigation and return to attract investment. We have built significant momentum behind this vision, launching a demonstration project, a first fund (a joint venture with AfricInvest, a leading investment manager) and our “deal construction” platform. Now, we need dedicated leadership to grow that deal construction work in support of this broader vision.
You will work with the CEO for Malaria No More and the Managing Director for HFC to develop the growth pathway for the deal construction platform. You will need to be a highly creative and independent leader, able to conceive of bold new solutions and then effectively pursue them, mobilizing staff, partners, and funding as needed. You will welcome the opportunity to work on strategic direction but also willingly engage in the details of day-to-day deal construction. This role will involve developing and implementing key partnerships, operational approaches, strategic planning, and resource management to ensure we realize our full potential for impact at scale. You will work with MNM/HFC leadership on team management and recruitment to promote an inclusive, collaborative and high-performing culture that spans Africa-based and global teams.
- Maintain active list of deal construction opportunities, identifying immediate and longer term
options; own cultivation and curation of deal pipeline
- Ensure robust pipeline development by identifying multiple new channels for developing and
building deal construction opportunities
- Collaborate with various DFIs, Investment Funds, and other global health partners to source
- Lead intensive work with companies, funding agencies, and, at times, governments, to develop promising, high-impact health enterprises into investable propositions that provide the necessary risk mitigation and return to attract investment
- Develop and execute a grant resourcing strategy for deal construction in partnership with HFC/MNM leadership
- Identify partners and consultants to support deal construction activities; manage relationships with external construction organizations
- Manage resource allocations for deal construction and ensure timely delivery of overall deal construction portfolio
- Support creation and execution of cost recovery model for deal construction
- Move from a strategic to an execution perspective by providing thought leadership and day-to-day support on specific deal construction projects as required
Strategy, Planning & Team Management
- Collaborate with the leadership team to oversee and manage the strategic priorities for the HFC deal construction platform.
- Track and optimize operational performance, team composition and structure, processes and policies while identifying opportunities for continuous improvement to ensure ambitious outcomes are achieved.
- Coordinate channels for effective communication and coordination across the deal construction team including meetings, systems, dashboards, and project management of internal and external construction opportunities.
- Assist with preparation of briefing materials, presentations, reports and responding to information requests as needed.
- 10+ years working in global health with at least 5 years in a transaction oriented role ideally at a
development finance institution, impact/venture fund, asset manager, or investment bank
- Deep knowledge of public health systems across Sub-Saharan African countries with particular
emphasis on primary care and supply chain Strong project management skills with exceptional
ability to manage multiple fast-paced projects simultaneously
- Exceptional ability to think strategically and yet you “sweat the small stuff”—people see you as
unusually detail-oriented and conscientious
- Entrepreneurial mindset; able to develop creative solutions and opportunities where others may not
- Natural networker and partnership builder with the ability to quickly understand a context and
develop an unmatched network of contacts (investors, angels, accelerators, talent, startups)
- A team-oriented, “low-ego” individual who works collaboratively in a high-performance environment
- Experience in working effectively with multicultural and remote teams
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Fluent in written and spoken English
Competitive compensation package based on the experience of the candidate. We also offer a robust benefits package including: vacation days, sick days, paid holidays, summer Fridays, health insurance, and other benefits in line with local country laws and regulations.
About Malaria No More
Malaria No More (MNM) envisions a world where no one dies of a mosquito bite. More than a decade into our mission, our work has contributed to historic progress toward this goal. Now, we’re mobilizing the political commitment, funding, and innovation required to achieve what would be one of the greatest humanitarian accomplishments—ending malaria within our generation. MNM is a global organization with offices in Seattle, Washington, D.C., New York, Cameroon, and India and affiliates in London and Tokyo.
About the Health Finance Coalition
The Health Finance Coalition (HFC) was launched by a group of leading philanthropies, investors, donors, technical partners convened by WHO Ambassador for Global Strategy and Health Financing Ray Chambers and hosted by Malaria No More. The HFC seeks to attract an unprecedented level of private-sector investment to impact millions of lives and accelerate progress to ensure health lives and promote well-being for all, a UN Sustainable Development Goal 3. To achieve these goals, the HFC believes that we must position private, return-seeking capital to co-invest alongside governments and donors to scale transformative health innovations that serve the most vulnerable. HFC Steering Group members include: The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation; The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria; U.S. Agency for International Development; The Rockefeller Foundation; The World Bank; The World Health Organization; Royal Philips; and The Skoll Foundation.
Please email a concise cover letter explaining why you would like to be considered and your resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Director, Deal Construction – Full Name”
No telephone calls please.
Applicants of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. MNM is an equal opportunity employer.